HomeApplicationHow to Apply for Sweden Student Visa

How to Apply for Sweden Student Visa

If you are an international student planning to pursue post-secondary education in Sweden for a duration exceeding three months at a university, university college, higher vocational education, or folk high school, you will be required to apply for a student visa and a residence permit.

Related: A Step-By-Step Guide to Studying in Sweden.

Here’s everything you need to know on how to apply for a student visa for Sweden:

Who Needs a Student Visa to Sweden? 

If you are from outside the EU/EEA and want to study in Sweden for more than three months, you will need to apply for a student visa to Sweden as well as a residence permit card before traveling to Sweden. If you want to study for less than three months, you may only need a visa.

If you are from countries like the US, Japan, and Canada — who do not need a visa to enter Sweden — and want to study in Sweden for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit.  

Sweden Student Visa Requirements

The Sweden student visa requirements may differ depending on where you are from. Usually, the requirements include the following:

  • Letter of acceptance into a Swedish educational institution. Before applying for a student visa, you must first be accepted into a Swedish university or college. You must provide proof of this acceptance as part of your visa application.
  • Proof of financial support. You must prove that you can financially support yourself while studying in Sweden. This can be in the form of bank statements, scholarship awards, or other financial documents.
  • Proof of Health insurance. You will need health insurance coverage valid in Sweden for the entire duration of your stay.
  • Paid Application fee. You will need to pay an application fee when submitting your visa application.
  • Proof of English language proficiency. If your program of study is taught in English, you may need to provide proof of your proficiency in the English language.
  • Valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the end of your intended stay in Sweden.
  • Passport-size photographs.
  • Completed application form. You must complete the application form for a Sweden student visa and provide any additional documents requested by the Swedish embassy or consulate.

Application Process

You can apply for a student visa and residence permit online on the Swedish Migration Agency website or at the Swedish embassy/consulate in your home country. 

The Sweden student visa application process is as follows: 

  • Set an appointment with the Swedish embassy.
  • Fill out the application form. 
  • Gather the necessary documents.
  • Pay the application fee.
  • Attend the interview with the Swedish authorities.
  • Wait for a decision.

It will take anywhere from two to six months for your application to be processed and a decision to be made. The Sweden student visa application process depends on numerous factors, including workload and whether or not the embassy has asked for additional documents.

Sweden Student Visa Fee

The application fee for resi­dence permits for students wishing to study in Sweden is SEK 1,500 or EUR 132 or USD 140 (adult).

Learn more about the cost of studying in living in Sweden here.

Sweden Student Visa Extension

To extend your student visa or residence permit in Sweden, you must submit an application to the Swedish Migration Agency before your current permit expires. The application must be submitted online, and you will need to pay a fee. 

When applying for an extension, you must provide updated information on your studies and financial situation, as well as any other information the Migration Agency requests. You must also provide proof of health insurance coverage.

It’s important to apply for an extension well before the expiration of your current permit, as processing times can vary depending on the time of year and the volume of applications. If your application for an extension is approved, you will be issued a new permit with a new expiration date.

Can I Work in Sweden After Graduation?

Yes, you can. There are some restrictions on how long you can stay in Sweden as a non-EU student. You can stay in Sweden for an additional 12 months to look for work.

However, the length of time you are allowed to stay may vary depending on your circumstances.

If you need clarification about the requirements for extending your student visa or residence permit in Sweden, consult with the Swedish Migration Agency or your school’s international student services office for guidance.

Sweden Student Visa Work Hours

There is no limit to the number of hours students can work in Sweden during their studies. However, students are expected to spend around 40 hours per week attending to their academic obligations, such as attending lectures or working on assignments, so you should not take on more work hours than you can handle. 

Additionally, it’s important to ensure that any work you take on is legal and that you are being paid fairly and in accordance with Swedish labor laws.


Most Popular